To receive a VAT refund, a customer must:
- Live outside the European Union on the date purchase was made;
- Be a visitor in the country where purchase is made for less than six months;
- Be aged 16 or older.
In order to receive a tax refund, your customers MUST show their original passport (or identity card for Swiss customers).
In France, the legal minimum is €175.01 per day, per store.
In England, it is £30 per day, per store.
- Certain consumable goods, such as manufactured tobacco;
- Certain merchandise subject to special controls:
- unmounted gemstones
- cultural goods
- private means of transportation, including their accessories and provisions (supplies, fuel, etc.)
A receipt is required for certain product categories. These include:
- IT equipment (memory card, computer, USB key, tablet, etc.)
- Jewellery (necklace, bracelet, ring, etc.)
- Leather goods (handbag, purse, etc.)
- Multimedia equipment (film or digital camera, video camera, DVD player, etc.)
Note: the merchandise’s description on the receipt must the identical to what is listed on the VAT refund form.
Yes. As of 1st September 2015 in France, the upper limit for cash payments to a professional was reduced from €3,000 to €1,000 for French residents and from €15,000 to €10,000 for non-residents.
Your customers have several options:
- Refund to a credit card
- Refund by check (customer’s full address must be listed)
- Refund by bank transfer (list French bank account details [RIB])
- Refund in cash (customers can pick up their refund in a refund office in town)
- Refund at airport (if customers choose this option, they can pick up their refund at an airport refund office)
Yes. In order to receive their refund, the VAT refund form must be stamped by customs officials (or a PABLO kiosk in France) with an official seal. They must show their merchandise, receipts and VAT refund forms to customs officials before leaving Europe in order to validate the export. If they leave Europe by train, boat or car, they must show their documents at the border or when they board.
Please inform your customers that they must send their stamped form to us using one of our prepaid envelopes or to the following address:
SolPay 11/13 Chemin de l’Industrie – Canéopole 06110 LE CANNET (FRANCE)